The main function of the scientific group is to host the annual International Conference on Ibāḍī Studies, now in its 9th year.The International Conferences exist to promote such studies and to provide a forum for discussion, publishing, and collaboration.
Previous conferences have been held at:
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2009)
- Eberhard Karls University of Tuebingen (2011)
- The University Orientale of Naples (2012)
- The Institute of Oriental Studies of the Jagiellonian University of Krakow (2013)
- Corpus Christi College, Cambridge University (2014)
- The Institute of Oriental Manuscripts of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg (2015)
- St Antony's College, Oxford University (2016)
- The University of Tokyo, Centre for Middle Eastern Studies (2017)
The conferences enjoy the support of the Omani Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs and the hosting institutions.
Conference proceedings are published by Georg Olms Verlag in their Studies on Ibadism and Oman series.
In addition, a Summer School on Ibadism was inaugurated as a join initiative in 2017 between Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, the University Orientale of Naples and the College of Shari'a Sciences of Oman, which looks at the fundamentals of Ibadism from a variety of scholarly perspectives. The main aim of this initiative is to create networks of young researchers in the field of Islamic and Ibadi studies, to approach Ibadi sources, to explore their richness and to understand their impact on the development of Ibadi communities historically and geographically and their contribution to both Islamic and world heritage.